Today we lost a friend

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dakirch, Dec 12, 2016.

1. dakirch United States

dakirch The Swarm Drunkest Council Staff Member High Council

Windows 10 Chrome 55.0.2883.87
    2 years ago me and @danofthedeep got to create this place. Just a place where people can play games, fuck around and escape the real world even if its for a few hours. It morphed into an amazing community that people put a lot of effort and dedication into. People formed friendships that were everlasting. I have met a few people in real life from here and Dan was one of them. We became great friends both online and offline.

Dan, you were a great person that was taken away far too young. You been through shit I would of never made it through and the last year you have been making great strides. My world is a lot different today and I am going miss you. This is still a lot for me to take in and I'm sure a few others. It truly sucks. Goodbye my friend, I'll always remember that night was caused all that fuckery in Downtown St Pete.

2. CarRamrod723 United States

CarRamrod723 Member Noble

iOS Mobile Safari
    Condolences, I never had the privilege to play with dan but I never like to hear about the loss of a community member as well as leader and friend to many.

3. MAFIAxMaverick United States

MAFIAxMaverick Active Member Shitlord

Windows 10 Chrome 54.0.2840.99
    Speechless. I'm gonna miss you Dan. Thanks for being my main gunner time and time again in Planetside 2. Lots of great conversations. Lots of great times. You've overcome a lot in the last year and I'm so proud of you for that man. We pretty much talked every day for the last two years - fun stuff, serious stuff, and everything in between.

4. dakirch United States

Android 6.x Marshmallow Chrome Mobile 54.0.2840.85
    Day1 of closed beta planetside 2. Only like 10 people had keys so me and dan ghost capped on an empty server. Legion of Snoo would give us Swarm and gave me a great friendship.

5. Nicmizzle United States

Nicmizzle Member Shitlord

Windows 7 Chrome 54.0.2840.99
    Goodbye Dan, we lost you to soon and doing so much better. One can only imagine what you have been through. Thank you for all the times you made us laugh and for all the times that we had fucking around in games with everyone. Really going to miss you man.

6. Quack United States

Quack Member Shitlord

Android 6.x Marshmallow Chrome Mobile 48.0.2564.116
    Goodbye Dan. I wish you and I had talked and gamed more. I'll miss you man.

7. LostInTheVoid United Kingdom

LostInTheVoid The Swarm Civilised Council Staff Member High Council

Bye Dan, you were a fantastic guy and someone who I would call a friend. It's crazy to think that over 2 years ago a video game would bring some of the coolest people together to create a truly close-knit community of like-minded people and you were there from the start. Remembering all the great times we've had as a part of this community as thanks to you and others involved. You were taken too soon. You'll be missed, buddy.

8. Vestario Canada

Vestario Active Member Lord

Windows 10 Chrome 54.0.2840.99
    I never got a chance to play with Dan, but from what I have read he must have been a good teammate and friend. I pass my condolences on to everyone here, as well to his family, friends, and loved ones.

9. Kilobravo777 United States

Kilobravo777 Member Lord Donator

Android Chrome Mobile 54.0.2840.85
    Good bye Dan. i will never forget you. It was a blast playing destiny with you for hours. Life isn't fair. Rest in peace

10. JudgeKeller United States

JudgeKeller Member Shitlord

OS X 10.11 El Capitan Chrome 54.0.2840.98
    Shit guys... I just saw this. I'm literally speechless. Thoughts and prayers go out to you Swarmies who knew him better than myself. Such a great guy gone too soon.

11. dakirch United States

This is all but a reminder that life is short and precious. One day the guy you were laughing with becomes just a horrible memory you wish you could have back for a second. We are all surrounded by people we love and that care for us. So no matter what happens love those people back and just live every moment of your life you can. Help those that you can help. Even if that person is thousands of miles away behind a microphone you never know what that person is going through and what a few words of encouragement can do for anyones life. Dan helped me through a lot of tough times and so did The Swarm. And without him there would never be The Swarm. I talked to this guy everyday for the last 2+ years and we formed a great friendship. Just knowing he will never message me back sucks, a lot. I wish we could go have a few more beers and shoot the shit again. And part of me keeps thinking maybe he will pop back into discord and say "whats up bitches!" Not many of us had the chance to meet Dan in real life but he was as great in real life as you known him here. I watched a man reinvent himself when he hit the bottom and start to do some great things. Many of us here helped Dan through his rough times and gave him some great memories. The Swarm was a huge part of his life and even his family was aware how much he loved this place. I truly loved the guy and watching him do so well the last year made me very proud of him.

Small things meant a lot to Dan. His secret santa gift brought him a lot of happiness and smiles. Playing games or hanging out discord brought more.

So wherever you are my friend, I miss you. My life changed a lot today. But you made a big impact on my life throughout these last few years. I can never thank you enough for being you.

Your favorite band. This is for you my friend.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  12. Steel_Cub United States

Steel_Cub Active Member Shitlord

iOS Mobile Safari
    planetside, irc, the-swarm.... The reason why I and many others from the early stages of The Swarm have stuck around all this time are because of the dedication, time and effort you've put into this community. You made The Swarm something I look forward to in my daily life, you made The Swarm what it is today. I pray for you and your family.

You'll always be the man, Dan!

Kilobravo777 and JudgeKeller like this.
  13. dakirch United States

Android 6.x Marshmallow Chrome Mobile 55.0.2883.91
    Dan helped change gaming for me and many others. One drunken evening he helped brainstorm a place where we can just fuck around everyday with some cool people and build a community. He touched a lot of peoples lives and he never got the chance to meet most of them. Thank you dan for everything. I will never stop missing you

14. snowsiff United States

snowsiff Member Noble

Windows 7 Firefox 50.0
    I'm truly saddened to hear of Dan's passing. Yes, I hardly knew the guy, as I'm fairly new here, but he helped create this great gaming community and I am thankful to him for that. I'm glad I got a few opportunities to play with him. It seems like some of you long time Swarmies and even prior to this group have developed great friendships.

When I found out a new battlefield game was coming out I was so excited, but then reality slapped me in the face, realizing I would have no one to play it with. I'm 32 and currently at a point in life where my only real friend is my wife. As luck would have it, I saw one of Dakirch's post's on reddit and joined The Swarm. This place has given me a chance to play a game I really enjoy with some familiar voices and like minded people. I know this isn't some life changing ordeal, but The Swarm has given me a place to bullshit with other people that have similar interests as me, get to hear what other people are interested in, partake in a secret santa (which has been fun), been yelled at and trigger Lost In the Void more than once (which has been amusing) and other fun shit. This is a place I can go to that helps me play games with some like minded people and be some what social.

Thanks Dan of the Deep and Dakirch and all the other people that have helped create this place. It's a great place and I'm thankful to be part of it.

JudgeKeller and dakirch like this.
  15. Beasty Canada

Beasty Active Member Noble Donator

Windows 7 Firefox 50.0
    Wow, terrible news, so young. Sorry to everyone who lost a great friend, just had a great conversation in PM with Dan about 2 weeks ago. I have not known him very long or personally but hearing someone who you're online friends with does hit the heart strings pretty hard. Dan has personally made me feel very welcome here, has also invited me to have a beer with him next time I was down in the states his way.
    TheSwarm has lost a big member of its community but I'm for certain we will carry on the great tradition and friendly-based community Dan brought to TheSwarm, I can only imagine how you must feel @dakirch , stay strong everyone!

dakirch likes this.
  16. Dethoxide United States

Dethoxide Member Lord

Windows 10 Firefox 50.0
    Dan, You were a great friend to me. You helped me when I was at my lowest. The times we had together were some of the best in my life. You and your family were so awesome when we chilled in the keys together. I really wish we could have gotten to hang out a few more times.

This has really hit me hard. He was taken away too soon. He was such a genuinely nice guy. Truly one of a kind. Im going to miss him very much. We built something amazing together, and had a fucking blast while doing. Good people are taken away from us before we realize it. So cherish the moments you have with people you are close with.

I dont know what else to say other than, Im going to miss you brother. RIP Dan and Dan.jpg

17. Potshop1 United States

Potshop1 New Member Commoner

Windows 10 Chrome 55.0.2883.75
    RIP brother . I know im new here any loss is sad and heartbreaking, Dan seemed to be a awesome gamer, friend and leader. Danofthedeep you will be missed.

18. Raider1one United States

Raider1one Active Member Lord

iOS Mobile Safari
    RIP DAN. one of the coolest people i met through the SWARM. You will be missed

19. Terry_HQ United Kingdom

Terry_HQ New Member Commoner

Well im new here but would like to add my condolences to all of Dans friends and family and to say if he helped build this community its a fine testimony and legacy @dakirch

20. NMtoVA Turkey

NMtoVA New Member Noble

OS X 10.11 El Capitan Chrome 45.0.2454.93
    My condolences to everyone. I never met Dan but he was a pillar in this community and he will be missed by all.

21. linuxman84 United States

linuxman84 Member Commoner

Linux Chrome 53.0.2785.143
    Wow such a shame, just another reminder of how short life really is. Talked to Dan a few times seemed like sure a nice guy. Condolences to his family and all his friends Swarm and otherwise.

22. LeHuskyGamer United States

LeHuskyGamer IW G.O.A.T Merch Member Lord Donator

Windows 10 Chrome 56.0.2924.21
    R.I.P Compadre you will truly be missed, wish we could've played together. :(

23. KhronosKhronic United States

KhronosKhronic Member Lord

Windows 8.1 Chrome 55.0.2883.87
    Goodbye Dan, we are all sadden by your loss and I send all my best wishes to your family and friends in this trying time.

24. TriggrHappyTrav United States

TriggrHappyTrav Member Commoner

Android 6.x Marshmallow Chrome Mobile 55.0.2883.91
  25. TheEpicness123 Canada

TheEpicness123 Member Lord

iOS Mobile Safari 10.0
    I really never got to know Dan. I only found out today of this terrible loss because I've been so busy over the past few months. It's with a heavy heart that I give condolences for him and that he may be in a better place. He was a great guy, for sure.

26. RoyalEngineer Canada

RoyalEngineer Member

Windows 10 Edge 15.15063
    I am very sad to hear this. I did not know Dan well but I had the opportunity to play PS2 with Dan on several occasions and he was a true gentleman. I greatly appreciated the time he put in for us. All the best to the Swarm new and old.

May Dan rest in peace, in a better place.

dakirch likes this.