Recomendations?

Thread starter #1
About a week or two ago a few of us were talking about some anime we liked in guild chat and a few of our favorites. I just wanted to see if anyone had a few that they would recommend. I am currently not watching any but there were a few this past year that came out like tokyo ghoul, seraph of the end, and terror in resonance that I would highly recommend. [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Have you ever seen afro samurai? Its not your traditional anime but it's pretty awesome. Main voice acting by Samuel Jackson, awesome fight scenes and gore, good music :D

Judging by the shows you liked I might recommend Psyco Pass if you have not already seen it. It is dark seinen crime drama with a sci-fi bend. Reminds me a bit of Minority Report.

Other that that, recently I liked Parasyte and Hunter x Hunter.

Thread starter #4
Have you ever seen afro samurai? Its not your traditional anime but it's pretty awesome. Main voice acting by Samuel Jackson, awesome fight scenes and gore, good music :D
Heard of it but have not actually watched it, it sounds cool! I'll definately check it out!

Thread starter #5
Judging by the shows you liked I might recommend Psyco Pass if you have not already seen it. It is dark seinen crime drama with a sci-fi bend. Reminds me a bit of Minority Report.

I watch a good range of different shows but those really stood out to me this year! I have not yet got to see psycho pass but yeah hunter x hunter and parasyte are great!

LetTheErin

Shitlord
Ones that just spring to mind that I enjoyed are:

Sword Art Online all the way >_>

Tokyo ghoul, yea I would recommend it.

& Date A Live... 3 different genres so may be to your taste

so a friend showed me this pretty nice website that if you use it right you can basically pick a few fav shows of yours and it will spit out similar shows for you to check out. Just a thought. let me know if you have any questions. animenewsnetwork.com

o and sword art online is a must if you havent seen it already

LetTheErin

Shitlord
Ohh & I would recommend watching anime here :http://kissanime.com/
You can even watch it on your PS4 up to 1080p (Set player on website to HTML5)

Slayyde

I'm a big anime dude...

I watch

Naruto shippuden
Sword art online
Hajime no ippo

Just to name a few...I highly recommend World Trigger and Durrara...both are brand new...I also have seen parasyte the maxim...it was pretty clean

Thread starter #11
Ones that just spring to mind that I enjoyed are:

Sword Art Online all the way >_>

Tokyo ghoul, yea I would recommend it.

& Date A Live... 3 different genres so may be to your taste
Have not seen Date A Live yet but have heard some great things about it! And thanks for the link, I will most likely start using it to watch anime on my ps4 haha

Thread starter #12
I'm a big anime dude...

I watch

Naruto shippuden
Sword art online
Hajime no ippo

Just to name a few...I highly recommend World Trigger and Durrara...both are brand new...I also have seen parasyte the maxim...it was pretty clean
Naruto shippuden was great but all of those damn flashbacks man, I could deal hahaha

LostInTheVoid

The Swarm Civilised Council
Staff member
High Council
Kissanime is great along with kissmanga. Also Screw SAO lol that show blows.

As for shows.

Tokyo Ghoul: First season is cannon then after that the anime follows it's own story which is pretty meh. So I'd suggest reading the manga after if you're into that kinda thing.
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood: Much better that just the normal FMA which in the second half kinda pulls away from the manga where as FMAB sticks with the manga.
Bleach: Not everyones thing but It was the first anime / manga I started and I love it. There's a lot of filler episodes and most are worth skipping I'd just watch the cannon stuff first and then return to the filler arcs because some of em are pretty good. Note that the anime finishes just before the Manga hit it's final and longest arc (Longest bleach arc) no one knows if the anime will return but there is a possibility it'll be back after the manga finally finishes.
Code Geass: Solid mech anime well worth watching both seasons.
Attack on Titan: Another mainstream anime / manga that is actually pretty damn awesome and luckily the guys making the anime haven't rushed it and have waited for the author to write more before starting the next season (due around early / mid 2016.)

There's more but that's just top of my head that are all worth a watch.

If you're into the whole RPG-style anime.. I'd recommend a show called "Fairytale". I loved it. :)

As for shows.

Tokyo Ghoul: First season is cannon then after that the anime follows it's own story which is pretty meh. So I'd suggest reading the manga after if you're into that kinda thing.
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood: Much better that just the normal FMA which in the second half kinda pulls away from the manga where as FMAB sticks with the manga.
Bleach: Not everyones thing but It was the first anime / manga I started and I love it. There's a lot of filler episodes and most are worth skipping I'd just watch the cannon stuff first and then return to the filler arcs because some of em are pretty good. Note that the anime finishes just before the Manga hit it's final and longest arc (Longest bleach arc) no one knows if the anime will return but there is a possibility it'll be back after the manga finally finishes.
Attack on Titan: Another mainstream anime / manga that is actually pretty damn awesome and luckily the guys making the anime haven't rushed it and have waited for the author to write more before starting the next season (due around early / mid 2016.)

I would second Attack on Titan, Code Geass and FMA, all good stuff. Bleach was Ok for me until about epesode 70-ish I think, everything after that should be chained up and thrown off a bridge.:eek:

If we are taking just general recommendations my list would probably include these:

Cowboy Bebop - Best damn show to come out of an anime studio.
Berserk - A dark bloody beast of a show with few rivals. The manga is even better.
Full Metal Panic - Best Mech series IMO. Three seasons, all different, all good.
Gunbuster OVA's - The ending of this show gets me every time. I've never seen anything capped off better.
One Piece - Get past the unconventional style and sillyness and there is a subtle genious at work behind a good dose of wonder and adventure.
Gurren Lagann - High energy giant robot stuff. Another great ending here.
School Rumble - Really funny, dub and sub.
Tora Dora - Funny slice of life romantic stuff. Don't usually go for these much but this one worked for me.

Some random honorable mentions:

Hajime no Ippo
Samurai X
5cm per second
Fate/Zero
Detroit Metal City
Ghost in the shell (movie)
Black Jack
Black Lagoon
Beck

LostInTheVoid

Staff member
High Council
I would second Attack on Titan, Code Geass and FMA, all good stuff. Bleach was Ok for me until about epesode 70-ish I think, everything after that should be chained up and thrown off a bridge.:eek:
Highly Disagree about bleach lol. Most of bleaches arcs have actually been pretty decent.

If you're into the whole RPG-style anime.. I'd recommend a show called "Fairytale". I loved it. :)
Ya, that one is good! I need to get caught up on that again some time.

Highly Disagree about bleach lol. Most of bleaches arcs have actually been pretty decent.
Fair enough lol! Just thought I'd stir the pot a bit.

Thread starter #18

As for shows.

You have great taste void, these are also a few of my favorites. Pretty disappointed they didn't end up making r3 for code geass! And as of SAO I watched the first season thought it started off great but then I generated mixed feelings about the show.

Thread starter #19
I never got to continue it! I stopped at episode 85 or so and then never picked it up again but I heard the most recent season was pretty good so i'll probably give it another go!

LostInTheVoid

Staff member
High Council
You have great taste void, these are also a few of my favorites. Pretty disappointed they didn't end up making r3 for code geass! And as of SAO I watched the first season thought it started off great but then I generated mixed feelings about the show.

My issue with SAO is it expected you to care about these people you just met and the main character apparently made friends with everyone he met it hurt my brain trying to watch that show.

Thread starter #21

If we are taking just general recommendations my list would probably include these:

Cowboy Bebop - Best damn show to come out of an anime studio.
Berserk - A dark bloody beast of a show with few rivals. The manga is even better.
Full Metal Panic - Best Mech series IMO. Three seasons, all different, all good.
Gunbuster OVA's - The ending of this show gets me every time. I've never seen anything capped off better.
One Piece - Get past the unconventional style and sillyness and there is a subtle genious at work behind a good dose of wonder and adventure.
Gurren Lagann - High energy giant robot stuff. Another great ending here.
School Rumble - Really funny, dub and sub.
Tora Dora - Funny slice of life romantic stuff. Don't usually go for these much but this one worked for me.

Some random honorable mentions:

Hajime no Ippo
Samurai X
5cm per second
Fate/Zero
Detroit Metal City
Ghost in the shell (movie)
Black Jack
Black Lagoon
Beck
Great list man, I'll definately check some out! And if you like cowboy bebop ypu will probably like terror in resonance! (Completely different genre but same director who had a huge budget for this anime) but basically it's basically about two teenagers trying to exploit the Japanese government's secret facility where they escaped from through terrorism!

Cowboy bebop is my favorite anime of all time...legendary badass anime

Terror in resonance huh...I'll definitely check that out

Right now I'm watching the tenchi muyo series...nostalgic but it's pretty damn funny...

Steel_Cub

Shitlord
Gonna List some of my favorite (not SO popular) Anime that i think you should watch.

KissAnime links in title

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter #25
Gonna List some of my favorite (not SO popular) Anime that i think you should watch.

KissAnime links in title

Kill al kill, soul eater, and especially FLCL were great! As for blue exorcist I've been told so many times to watch it and I end up finding something else and forgetting about it haha but I'll definately give those others a view as well.

Try "is it wrong to try to pick up girls in a dungeon", it's pretty awesome; and its an ongoing series. Also: world break, world trigger, accel world, hunter x hunter, log horizon, black cat, black bullet, darker than black, d greyman, kaze no stigma, death note.

Has anyone heard anything about sao 3: underworld online yet? I heard it was coming out soon but don't know a date?

Sao 2 game out last year so idk wen the new one will arrive...wouldn't expect it this year though

Berserk and Code Geass May have been some of my favorites. What surprises me though is this list managed to make it so far with no mention of Death Note.

Steel_Cub

Shitlord
Berserk and Code Geass May have been some of my favorites. What surprises me though is this list managed to make it so far with no mention of Death Note.
Well, Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist, Naruto, One Piece, etc... these are all well known Anime that don't need any mention.

Actually I mentioned death note in my earlier post.

Sent from my Hydro using Tapatalk

Well, Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist, Naruto, One Piece, etc... these are all well known Anime that don't need any mention.
Agreed...figured this was a thread for the hidden gem animes out

Attack on titan. I'm at a stage in my life where Anime now holds very little (almost no) appeal to me, and I was blown away by AoT. The night after I watched it i was freaked out and thinking to myself "MonteCristo if a titan comes to eat you you'll hear them coming from far off and have time to run" Thats how freaked out I was by the series.

Thread starter #33
Try "is it wrong to try to pick up girls in a dungeon", it's pretty awesome; and its an ongoing series. Also: world break, world trigger, accel world, hunter x hunter, log horizon, black cat, black bullet, darker than black, d greyman, kaze no stigma, death note.

Has anyone heard anything about sao 3: underworld online yet? I heard it was coming out soon but don't know a date?
Another great list here! I've seen a few of these like some of hunter x hunter, black bullet, darker than black, kaze no stigma, and death note. Is world trigger really that good? I watched the first episode but didn't get to into it but I heard it was great.

Thread starter #34
Thanks everyone for their contribution! I'll post a list soon of a few favorites!

Another great list here! I've seen a few of these like some of hunter x hunter, black bullet, darker than black, kaze no stigma, and death note. Is world trigger really that good? I watched the first episode but didn't get to into it but I heard it was great.

World trigger is awesome...one of the best right now

Agreed...figured this was a thread for the hidden gem animes out
I took it as a general recommendation question, but here are a few or the more obscure, older, or hard to get titles I have liked:

Bokurano - This was recently released on DVD by Discotec and well worth a look.
Blazing Transfer Student
Angel Densetsu
Riding Bean
Battle Angel
Legend of Galactic Heroes
Golgo 13
Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure
Doomed Megalopolis
Fist of the North Star (Original OVA)/Hokuto no Ken TV series
Slam Dunk

Thread starter #37
I'm suprised no one even mentioned Akame ga Kill, that show got me straight in the feels lol

pretty much all of my favourite animes have been listed on here except a couple older/classic ones that got me started in anime:

Initial D -if you're into street cars/drifting
Serial Experiments Lain - super psychological/trippy
Vampire Hunter D - everyone should watch this if they say they like anime
Escaflowne - another classic if you like space mech stories

Anyway, just a couple off the top of my head

Cowboy Bebop and Trigun always make me cry. Every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samurai champloo and roruini kenshin are pretty good

Has anyone watched psycho pass? Awesome anime

I've only watched the first five episodes so far. But I've like it. I thought it looked sucky but was surprised.

Sent from my Hydro using Tapatalk

berserk
hellsing
black lagoon
attack on titan (beating a dead horse here)
ninja scroll
vampire hunter d

Thread starter #44
Has anyone given this summer's anime a chance? So far I'm loving God eater (kind of weird animation but great story so far) and Gansta.

I've tried the first episode of Gangsta, Overlord, Prison School and God Eater. Gangsta is by far the best of the bunch IMO, though I will probably will continue with Overlord as well. Prison School and God Eater are on the bubble and might get one or two more episodes to prove themselves.

Crazy52

Baron
Thread starter #47
I've tried the first episode of Gangsta, Overlord, Prison School and God Eater. Gangsta is by far the best of the bunch IMO, though I will probably will continue with Overlord as well. Prison School and God Eater are on the bubble and might get one or two more episodes to prove themselves.
Completely forgot about Overlord! Saw the first episode and thought it was interesting so I'll most likely be keeping up with it. Haven't looked into prison school yet but I'll check that one out.

I don't know if anyone already mentioned but I liked "Shiki", its about a vampire take over of a small town and the main protagonist is not some whiney 14 year old midget. The story span the entire summer, and doesn't conform to most anime. I personally think anime is stupid and adults viewing them are weird, but Shiki actually has a really good story, It was good enough that I gave anime a second chance...and immediately disqualified it again when watching some high school girl who's dress gets more powerful as it gets smaller....uggghhh.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned BACCANO! Its so good! The sound track is my favorite part about it. Along with the 30s New York Mafia setting.

Looked through 5 pages no one mentioned outlaw star

Other than that:

Gate is ongoing and is about a Roman style army hits Japan and finds out that gunships tanks and machine guns are not funny. Ots odd because Japan usually gets bent over by invaders in anime.

Is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon is pretty good think fantasy mixed with mmorpgs

Read or die is good

Baka and test is fantastic and still makes me laugh

Angel beats starts funny and light then turns deep and emotional.

Xamd is a great action one

Eureka 7 is great don't worry hating the main character is normal at the start.

Gargantia on the verdurous planet is good

And finally pilots love story. Word of warning walk into it with a game of thrones mentality

My all-time favorites ( That nearly ruined anime for me, because I haven't found better than them yet) are still Code Geass and Death Note, honestly.
"Those without power, seek us! Those with power, fear us! We are the Order of the Black Knights!"

Mejji

Elfen Lied if you want to see something a bit more dark.

Thread starter #53
My all-time favorites ( That nearly ruined anime for me, because I haven't found better than them yet) are still Code Geass and Death Note, honestly.
"Those without power, seek us! Those with power, fear us! We are the Order of the Black Knights!"
YES! These two are literally in my top all time favorites. Still have not watched the geass movies however :/

Man all these anime are like the starter packs of what to watch. Especially the one like SAO, Attack on Titan, and Tokyo Ghoul. Don't get me wrong but I'm pretty sure this guy isn't a complete neanderthal when it comes to anime. If you want good anime with un-tropy storylines some of my recommendations are:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, 2nd GiG, and Solid State Society
Baccano!
Cowboy Bebop
Berzerk
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Theres also a bit more but I need to find my list.

Here are a few more that I found were pretty damn good that are from my list.

Ruroni Kenshin
Gundam
Hellshing: Ultimate
Darker Than Black
Yuyu Hakusho
Claymore
Sword of the Stranger (Movie)
Redline (Movie)
Ga Rai Zero
Nura: Rise of the Yokai
X (Series and movie)
Kara No Kyokai
Mushishi
.hack series
Space Dandy
Gintama
Fear in Resonance
Samurai Champloo

Steel_Cub

Shitlord
One-punch Man!

!2 episodes of pure epicness...and slapstick

One-punch Man aired it's final episode of the season last sunday and I just had to put a big spotlight on this Anime. Go watch it.....right now!
If you like the anime then you must read the manga, it's on a whole new level of awesome. the level of detail is up there with Berserk.

Crazy52

Baron
I'm a big anime dude...

I watch

Naruto shippuden
Sword art online
Hajime no ippo

Black lagoon also
SAO after EP. 14 makes me cringe, but Black Lagoon is good.
One-punch Man!

!2 episodes of pure epicness...and slapstick

One-punch Man aired it's final episode of the season last sunday and I just had to put a big spotlight on this Anime. Go watch it.....right now!
If you like the anime then you must read the manga, it's on a whole new level of awesome. the level of detail is up there with Berserk.

also One Punch Man, very much yes.
(dont forget the OVA about how he got his "Hero Suit")

Crazy52

Baron
This january: winter season

Gate: Thus the JSDF Fought There! Fire Dragon Arc
[video=youtube_share;QtG2ZMvJNZo]https://youtu.be/QtG2ZMvJNZo[/video]
Dimension W
[video=youtube_share;Mgq7hcFxkXM]https://youtu.be/Mgq7hcFxkXM[/video]
Ajin
[video=youtube_share;V62kcgCXNJU]https://youtu.be/V62kcgCXNJU[/video]
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash
[video=youtube_share;ngLUKREIZMo]https://youtu.be/ngLUKREIZMo[/video]

The new gundam iron blooded orphans is surprisingly not bad and people actually die in it so yay

Have you read the parasyte manga? It's so old that it is being reprinted now. The art is really old fashioned

Kami_oniisama oniisama has to recommend my namesake: the world god only knows.

I wasn't going to reccomend it but you were interested in date a live so.... also rosario + vampire is pretty good. It's a fantasy harem action anime and the second season arc is my favorite.

If you read manga at all the. Ikigami: the ultimate limit is literally the best manga on earth if you like politics and controversy.

Panty and stocking is also a great show and is based off American art but you have to watch in japanese because the dub takes the humor out of the times when English is used. Panty and stocking could be your next favorite show lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Here are my suggestions

Series Experiments Lain
Habane Renmei
Witch Hunter Robyn
Wicked City
Ranma 1/2
Vampire Hunter D
Battle Angel Alita
Gunsmith Cats
Gunslinger Girls
El Hazard
Ergo Proxy
.hack/Sign
M.D. Geist

There are so many good ones out there. Luckily they no long have to be purchased 3 episodes on a VHS for $25.00

I am not a big fan of anime or manga, but I have some what enjoyed The Seven Deadly Sins.
I was a fan of the .Hack games, I never really got in to the other mediums they released it on.

LostInTheVoid

Staff member
High Council
Deth you seem to like darker comics from what I remember it might be worth checking out Tokyo Ghoul, Tokyo Ghoul:Re (Sequel to tokyo ghoul) and Berserk all of those are pretty dark tittles and are well worth reading tokyo ghouls anime's first season follows the manga somewhat decently though a lot of information is left out and the seasons after the first one don't follow the manga at all so I'd say just read the manga form the beginning. I've just started reading Re and I'm on chapter 16 it's a huge improvement over the first manga and the first one was pretty damn great.

Deth you seem to like darker comics from what I remember it might be worth checking out Tokyo Ghoul, Tokyo Ghoul:Re (Sequel to tokyo ghoul) and Berserk all of those are pretty dark tittles and are well worth reading tokyo ghouls anime's first season follows the manga someone decently though a lot of information is left out and the seasons after the first one don't follow the manga at all so I'd say just read the manga form the beginning. I've just starting reading Re and I'm on chapter 16 it's a huge improvement over the first manga and the first one was pretty damn great.
Please throw in black lagoon (some episodes are terrifying)

And hellsing

That's all you need to see and you can just reply watch it a 100,000 times over. Also Kenichi the mightiest disciple also very good in rewatch it all the time it just that good. Um mommy shuffle it's a love comedy but like it was very good.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

LostInTheVoid

Staff member
High Council
The anime sucks because of the filler stay away from it lol. The manga is still ongoing and the current arc (the final arc of the series) has been really good so far learning about all the stuff that wasn't explained before and Kubo's art style is still fantastic.

The anime sucks because of the filler stay away from it lol. The manga is still ongoing and the current arc (the final arc of the series) has been really good so far learning about all the stuff that wasn't explained before and Kubo's art style is still fantastic.
This is why I gave up on naruto the manga finished but the show still won't end because they are filling it with fillers to drag out the ending

Ask

LostInTheVoid

Staff member
High Council
gotta milk naruto until it's dry man lol. I like the way they've done things with SnK instead of pumping of a second season full of shitty filler they've waited until the manga has progressed enough so that they can push out a second season that sticks close to the Manga and not bullshit people with dumb stuff.

gotta milk naruto until it's dry man lol. I like the way they've done things with SnK instead of pumping of a second season full of shitty filler they've waited until the manga has progressed enough so that they can push out a second season that sticks close to the Manga and not bullshit people with dumb stuff.
Are you forgetting about the naruto vs naruto robot lol

Ask